The POLQA P.863 (Perceptual Objective Listening Quality Assessment) is the successor to the PESQ P.862 (Perceptual Evaluation of Speech Quality) and is designed to measure audio quality and generate a MOS score, specifically in environments which are using next generation audio technology, such as IP based networks. POLQA also improves upon the known limitations of the PESQ algorithm in being able to support wideband audio as well as modern codec behaviours such as variable playback speeds for error correction.
POLQA is suitable for 3G, 4G and 5G networks, VoIP networks and NGN networks delivering HD- quality voice services such as "wideband" and "super-wideband" telephone calls, 7 kHz and 14 kHz frequency range. POLQA is recommended for measuring audio quality on WebRTC based connections as these also use wideband audio codecs. POLQA has been shown to improve quality predictions for the following types of scenarios.
- (Adaptive Multi Rate) AMR, Narrow Band (NB), Wide Band (WB) and Enhanced Variable Rate Codec (EVRC) type codecs
- Enhanced Voice Services (EVS) Codec
- Noise Reduction and Voice Quality Enhancement
- Time-warping, UCC and VoIP
- Non-optimal presentation levels
- Filtering and spectral shaping
- Recordings made at an ear simulator
POLQA reference audio files will be provided by Cyara.
As of the Cyara 21.4 platform release the following solutions are able to use the POLQA algorithm.
- Cyara Test Cases
- Cyara Virtual Agent for the following environments
- Genesys Cloud
- Amazon Connect
- NiceCXone (InContact)
- Twilio Flex